Because rice pudding is an edible American icon, I have purposely made this a very basic recipe. It's a wonderful way to use up leftover plain cooked rice. Add your own favorite spices or 1/2 teaspoon almond, coconut, maple, or rum extract, along with the vanilla extract.
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1 can 12 ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Coat a 1-1/2-quart baking dish with nonstick spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the egg whites, egg, milk, sugar, and vanilla. Whisk until well-combined. Stir in the rice and raisins. Pour into the prepared dish.
3. Bake for 30 minutes. Stir the pudding. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed.
This recipe is from the book Homestyle Cooking Made Healthy by Jeanne Jones.