- 8 large portobello mushrooms about 2 ounces each, stems removed
- 4 tablespoons olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme picked
- 1 bunch broccoli rabe trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic one clove thinly sl
- 1. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Place 1 tablespoon olive oil in roasting pan. Arrange mushroom caps in a large roasting pan, bottom-side up. Drizzle mushrooms with balsamic vinegar and wine. Season with salt and pepper. Scatter thyme leaves and sprigs over mushrooms, and cover the roasting pan with foil. Transfer to oven, and roast until mushrooms are fork-tender and cooked through, about 25 to 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli rabe, and cook until bright green and just tender, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and transfer to a bowl of ice water. When cool, drain, and pat dry.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add sliced garlic, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add blanched broccoli rabe, red-pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper. Saute until broccoli rabe is tender and heated through, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer rabe to a bowl, and return skillet to heat.
4. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet. Add minced garlic, and heat until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add cherry tomatoes and basil. Saute tomatoes, shaking pan often until tomatoes just pop, about 3 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside. Return skillet to heat.
5. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet. Add half of the fennel, reserving the other half, which will be used as a topping. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until limp, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and set aside.
6. Remove mushrooms from oven, and arrange on serving platter, bottom-side up. Arrange toppings on mushrooms as desired. Layer broccoli rabe with fresh tomatoes and mozzarella. Melt the cheese by placing the mushroom pizzas under the broiler. Another flavorful combination is prosciutto, fennel, shaved Parmesan, and chopped olives. Drizzle mushroom pizzas with olive oil, and serve immediately.