- 1/3 cup ruby port
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup pomegranate juice or cranberry juice
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon shallots minced
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup safflower or peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1. Combine the port, juices, and garlic in a nonreactive saucepot. Bring to a boil and simmer until reduced to 1/3 cup. Put the shallots in a stainless bowl, strain the reduction over them, and cool.
2. Add the egg yolk, reduction, and red wine vinegar to a bowl and whisk to combine. Combine the safflower and walnut oils and drizzle into the yolk mixture, whisking to emulsify. Season with salt and pepper and reserve. Refrigerate if not using immediately.
This recipe is from the book Not Afraid of Flavor:Recipes from the Magnolia Grill by Award-Winning Chefs Ben and Karen Barker