- 2 chickens, cut up in pieces (2-1/2 pounds each)
- 1 pig's foot
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds pork tenderloin, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup cassareep
- 1 lg. onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 chile peppers, seeded, diced
- 1 2-inch piece stick cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Place the chicken pieces and pig's foot in a large stew pot and pour water in to cover. Add salt. Bring to a boil and skim scum. Cover partially and simmer for 1 hour.
Remove as much fat as possible from surface of water. Add pork, cassareep, onion, brown sugar, chiles, cinnamon, cloves, and thyme. Bring to a boil and simmer, partially covered, for another hour. Remove the cloves and cinnamon and discard. Stir in the vinegar.