Oysters on the Half Shell with Smoky Chipotle Vinegar
Whenever we serve oysters our goal is to open them fresh, saving as much of their liquor as possible, and to serve them quickly and ice cold. Mix together a small bowl of salted water and use a pastry brush to clean off any grit remaining on the serving shells. At the moment we love gorgeous, tiny Fanny Bays and Kuomamotos, but we are always open to new experiences where oysters are concerned. For a quick sauce, try a tiny bit of red or green salsa on fresh oystersÂ—delicious!
- 4 shallots, minced
- 3 fl oz vinegar, from Pickled Chipotle recipe
- 24 oysters, in the shell, scrubbed
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 recipe Pickled Chipotles, finely chopped
- 1. Whisk together vinegar, shallots and chopped chipotle. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Shuck the oysters, discarding half the shells. Carefully wipe clean the edges of serving shells. Arrange on a serving platter lined with crushed ice sprinkled with coarse salt. Sparingly spoon on the chipotle vinegar and serve.
Technique - Shucking Oysters