- 1 28- ounce can plum tomatoes in puree
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- green onions for garnish
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 pounds small mussels scrubbed and beards removed
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 8- ounce bottle clam juice
- 1. In 5-quart Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook until tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
2. Stir in tomatoes with their puree, clam juice, white wine, salt, red pepper, and 2 cups water. Heat to boiling over high heat, stirring and breaking up tomatoes with back of spoon. Boil 3 minutes.
3. Add mussels; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until mussels open, about 4 minutes. Discard any mussels that do not open. Stir in parsley just before serving. Garnish with green onions.