- 1 large leek, white and light green parts sliced thin crosswise
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into a small dice
- 2 small onions, peeled and cut into a small dice
- 2 medium celery stalks, trimmed can cut into small dice
- 2 large red potatoes cut into medium dice
- 1 medium zucchini, trimmed and cut into medium dice
- 3 cups stemmed spinach leave
- 1. Bring vegetables, tomatoes, water, cheese rind, and 1 teaspoon salt to boil in a soup kettle or pot. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender but still hold their shape, about 1 hour. The soup can be refrigerated in an airtight container for 3 days or frozen for 1 month. Defrost if necessary and reheat before proceeding with recipe.
2. Add beans and cook just until heated through, about 5 minutes. Remove pot from heat. Remove and discard cheese rind. Stir in pesto (or rosemary garlic mixture). Adjust seasonings, adding pepper and more salt, if necessary. Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately.