Ground Turkey Chili Mole
Serve this streamlined version of an intricate Mexican dish as you would chili -- ladle it into big bowls to eat with a spoon. Offer Water-crisped Tortilla Chips alongside; they complement the chili without compromising its low fat content.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 pound ground skinless turkey
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon each dry oregano and dry basil
- 1 teaspoon each paprika and ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon liquid hot pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 cups cooked red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (about 15 o
- In a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine onion and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; then boil, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and onion begins to brown (about 5 minutes). To deglaze, add 1/4 cup more water and stir to scrape browned bits free. Then continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to brown again. Repeat deglazing and browning steps, using 1/4 cup more water.
Crumble turkey into pan; add garlic. Cook, stirring, until meat is no longer pink and liquid has evaporated. Stir in tomato sauce, tomatoes, beans, molasses, hot pepper seasoning, cocoa, paprika, cumin, oregano, and basil. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover, and simmer until flavors are well blended (about 30 minutes).