Most quesadillas send your calorie budget through the roof because of all the cheese. This vegetable-stuffed version uses fat-free cream cheese and sweet peppers, saving you calories and fat.
- 2 small green and/or red sweet peppers cut into thin strips
- 1 small red onion cut into thin 1-inch-long strips
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup fat-free cream cheese (tub style
- 5 6- to 7- inch flour tortillas
- Salsa optional
- In a large nonstick skillet cook sweet peppers and onion in 1 teaspoon of the oil for 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in cumin and chili powder. Cook and stir for 1 minute more. Stir in cilantro. Set vegetables aside.
Spread cream cheese over half of 1 side of each tortilla. Top with pepper mixture. Fold tortilla in half over peppers, pressing gently.
Place tortillas on an ungreased large baking sheet. Brush tortillas with the remaining oil. Bake in a 425 degree F. oven for 5 minutes. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve warm. If desired, pass the salsa.