French Silk Pie
French Silk Pie
This French silk pie recipe is extremely simple and delicious.
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 1/2 cups Sugar
- 2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate melted and cooled COMPLETELY
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 large eggs
- 8 ounces whipping cream or 8 ounce tub Cool Whip
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 deep dish frozen pie crust baked according to package
- Bake pie crust or use a Pillsbury refrigerated crust and make according to package directions for a fully baked crust. Set aside to cool.
- Melt the chocolate and set aside to cool completely.
- Beat sugar and butter on medium high until light and fluffy, about 6-7 minutes.
- Add cooled chocolate and vanilla and beat until incorporated.
- Whisk eggs and sugar together in a heatproof bowl or the top piece of a double boiler. Place over a pot of simmering water (or the bottom part of your double boiler) on medium heat. Do not let the surface of simmering water touch the bottom of the heatproof bowl. Whisking constantly, cook the egg mixture until it reaches 160°F (71°C) on an instant read thermometer, about 10-11 minutes. Do not stop whisking or the eggs may solidify. If the steam gets too hot over your hand, use an oven mitt. Carefully remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. After cooling, slowly stir in the melted chocolate. To prevent curdling, cool for another 10 minutes before using in the next step.
- Pour filling into cooled pie crust.
- Beat whipping cream and powdered sugar with a whisk attachment on medium-high speed until stiff peaks just begin to form. Add prepared whipped topping to top of pie.
- You can garnish with shaved bittersweet chocolate as well.