Deep Fried Turkey
Deep Fried Turkey
Deep Frying your turkey can turn out the juiciest most flavorful turkey you will ever eat. Please Deep fry your turkey outdoors; making it in the kitchen is too dangerous.
Prep Time 1 day
- 2/3 cup salt
- 1 - 15 pound fresh turkey
- 4 tablespoons rubbed or ground sage
- 10 medium whole bay leaves
- 3 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
- 4 gallons peanut oil
- Make a brine by combining the salt, brown sugar, black pepper, pinch of thyme, cloves, allspice, 3 bay leaves and either orange peel or dried orange peel. Use a clean cooler and put a thick layer of ice on the bottom (just make sure you have enough space to add the turkey). Take a new trash bag and lay the turkey into the bag breast down while the bag is in the cooler. Pour the cooled brine into the trash bag and then fill the bag with cold water until the turkey is covered. Pull the bag opening up and gather it. The goal is to tie it like a pet store fish bag. Make sure to push out all the air that you can before tying it to make sure the brine stays in contact with the turkey. Close the cooler lid so that the turkey stays cold. Let turkey brine overnight. Two hours prior to cooking time drain, rinse and pat dry turkey.
- Finely grind bay leaves in spice grinder; transfer to small bowl. Finely grind thyme, oregano, and sage separately; add to bay leaves.
- Rub 1/3 spice mixture in inside of turkey and the rest on outside of turkey; place in roasting pan. Let turkey come to room temperate. Using a wooden skewer, thread neck flap securely to bottom of turkey. Fold wing tips under. Using steel or aluminum wire, truss legs and tail together securely; form a handle with wire. This will enable you to hold turkey while submerging in hot oil.
- Heat oil in 10-gallon pot with liner basket over high heat until temperature registers 360°F. Holding turkey by handle, immerse in oil. Maintain temperature at 360 °F while frying. Fry until golden brown, about 45 minutes, or 3 minutes per pound or internal temperature in the breast is 150F.
- Lift turkey from oil; transfer to a wire rack over a roasting pan. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.