Chinese Chicken & Shrimp Soup
This Asian-style soup is ready to serve almost as soon as it boils. Once you've prepared the nourishing ingredients-- chicken, shrimp, tofu, and vegetables-- there's little left to do but combine and heat them, then savor the result.
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 12 ounces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 to 3 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh ginger
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Ground red pepper (cayenne) or chili oil (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 ounces small cooked shrimp
- 1/2 cup sliced green on
- In a 4- to 5-quart pan, combine broth, ginger, and soy sauce; bring to a boil over high heat. Add chicken, mushrooms, bok choy, tofu, and onions. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until chicken is no longer pink in center; cut to test (about 2 minutes). Remove pan from heat and stir in shrimp and cilantro. Season to taste with red pepper, if desired.