Low-Calorie Pumpkin Custards
This easy-on-the-waistline dessert has all the wonderful flavor of pumpkin pie.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 15- ounce can pumpkin
- 1 12- ounce can evaporated fat-free milk
- 2 beaten eggs or 1/2 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product thawed
- 14 packets heat-stable low-calorie sweetener
- 6 gingersnaps
- Frozen fat-free whipped dessert topping thawed (op
In a large saucepan combine gelatin, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Stir in pumpkin and evaporated milk. Let stand 5 minutes to soften gelatin.
Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture bubbles; cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot mixture into eggs; return all egg mixture to saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2 minutes. Do not boil. Remove from heat. Stir in sweetener.
Place a gingersnap into the bottom of six 6-ounce custard cups. Spoon pumpkin mixture into custard cups. Cover and chill 6 to 24 hours. Garnish with frozen whipped topping, if desired. Sprinkle with nutmeg before serving