Almond Cracked Wheat Bread
The addition of almond paste gives this loaf a tender moistness; it's also a good complement to the nutty flavor of cracked wheat. The almond flavor isn't pronounced, but adds a delicate hint of sweetness.
- 1 1/8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons almond paste*
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 cup cracked wheat or bulgur
- 3/4 cup King Arthur 100% White Wheat Flour
- 2 cups King Arthur Special For Machines Bread Flour
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dried milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons regular instant yeast
*If you don't have access to prepared almond paste, substitute 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds ground to a paste with 1 tablespoon sugar.
Place all of the ingredients into the pan of your bread machine, program the machine for Basic White Bread, and press Start. Check the dough after 10 to 15 minutes of kneading; it should have formed a smooth ball, soft but not sticky. If necessary, adjust the dough's consistency with additional flour or water.