1. Heat the peanut oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add the onion, leek, and thyme, season lightly with salt and pepper, and cook for 15 minutes.
2. Add the stock and bring to a boil quickly over high heat.
3. Lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the leeks are completely tender.
4. Add the potatoes and simmer about 10 minutes more, or until the potatoes are tender.
5. Puree in a blender.
6. Adjust the salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve garnished with chives.
For Safe Keeping: Cool the soup. Refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze for longer storage.
This recipe is from the book GREAT ADVENTURES IN FOOD
by Ellen Haas.