1. Preheat the oven to 400 F. Butter a 12-cup muffin tin.
2 .Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, salt, and pepper in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Add the cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, and scallions and toss well.
3. Whisk together the warm milk, melted butter, oil, and egg in a separate bowl.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix together just until a soft dough forms. (Be careful not to overmix the dough.) Fill the prepared muffin cups to the rim with batter. Bake until the tops start to brown slightly, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Cool for 2 to 3 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
6. Remove to a rack and let cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 2 days.
Recipe from the White Dog Cafe Cookbook
Multicultural Recipes and Tales of Adventures from Philadelphia's Revolutionary Restaurant
by Judy Wicks and Kevin von Klause
(Running Press Book Publishers; March 1998; $16.95/paperback; $24.95/hardcover)