Chicken and Spinach Turnovers
Sealing the turnovers by pressing the edges of the pastry together firmly with the tines of a fork, gives the turnovers an attractive appearance and prevents leaking.
- 1 cup finely chopped cooked chicken or turkey 6 ounces
- 1/2 of a 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach or broccoli thawed and well drained
- 1/3 cup shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- Dash pepper
- 3/4 cup packaged biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup whole wheat f
For filling, in a mixing bowl combine chicken, spinach or broccoli (cut up any large pieces of broccoli), cheese, onion, oregano, garlic salt, and pepper. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl, stir together biscuit mix and flour. Stir in milk just until moistened. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead 10 to 12 strokes. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 7-inch circle.
Spoon one-fourth of the filling onto one half of each circle of dough. Fold the other half of the dough over the filling and seal edges with the tines of a fork. Place turnovers on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake in a 400 degree F. oven about 20 minutes or until golden. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, heat pizza sauce until hot. Serve with hot turnovers.