This delicious and filling burrito is simple to make. You can substitute rotisserie chicken for a very quick weeknight meal. This version is with shredded chicken but you can make it with ground beef or even chorizo.
- 1 whole chicken you can sub 4 leg and thigh quarters or 4 breasts
- 3 15 oz can enchilada sauce
- 1 tbsp taco or fajita seasoning
- 2 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 cup tomato chopped
- 2 cup lettuce chopped
- 6 burrito tortillas
- 2 lb shredded cheese
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 15 oz can refried beans
Preparing the Chicken
- Chop your onions and set aside.
- Break your chicken into leg quarters and breasts. Place them in the Instant Pot with one cup of chopped onion, garlic, taco seasoning and one can of enchilada sauce. Add a half a can of water to the mix and stir.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook for 20 minutes on high pressure.
- While you are waiting for the chicken to cook, chop your tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro.
- When the chicken is done cooking you can release the pressure manually or you can wait for it to release on its own. When you can open it, separate the chicken from the broth. Leave the broth in the Instant Pot and turn it on to sauté and reduce the liquid by half.
- When the chicken has cooled enough to handle remove the bones and shred.
- When the liquid has reduced combine it with the shredded cheese.
- Turn your broiler on to Medium
Assembling the Burrito
- If you don't have oven proof plates than you can use a baking pan and cook them at the same time but it is tricky to transfer them from the pan to the plate.
- Spread a heaping spoon full of refried beans down the middle of the burrito. Top the beans with a small hand full of onion, cilantro, tomato and lettuce.
- Top the vegetables with chicken and then roll, placing the burrito seam side down on the plate or pan. Pour a generous amount of enchilada sauce over the burrito and then top with shredded cheese.
- Broil until the cheese melts and starts to brown. Watch carefully because it can burn very quickly. Serve immediately while the cheese is hot.
You can replace the raw chicken with rotisserie chicken by combining the shredded chicken with one can of enchilada sauce. You can replace the chicken with ground beef by browning beef and combining it with one can of enchilada sauce.