- 6-8 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 whole white peppercorns
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 1 head of garlic cut in half crosswise to expose the cloves
- 1 small bunch of fresh flat-leaf parsley about 15 sprigs
- 5 leeks cut in half lengthwise and washed
- ½ large rutabaga peeled
- ¼ head of green cabbage
- 2 large onions
- 4 medium to l
- Slice the mushrooms, fennel stalks, celery, carrots, onions, and cabbage thin and place in an 8-quart stockpot. Cut the rutabaga into large chunks and place in the stockpot. Add the remaining ingredients and cover with cold water.
Bring to a boil over high heat. As the stock approaches a boil, skim any impurities that rise to the top with a ladle. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 45 to 60 minutes. Ladle through a fine stainer, cool, and refrigerate. The stock will keep for 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator, or freeze in 1-cup batches.
To intensify the flavor, reduce the stock after reducing by one quarter to one half.