This three tomato tart recipe is a perfect way to show off your heirloom tomatoes. The more tomato colors the impressive the finished tart will be.
Servings 6 servings
- Pastry for Single-Crust Pie
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp snipped fresh lemon thyme or thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 5 yellow or red cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 2 red cherry tomatoes sliced in half
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp fresh lemon thyme or regular thyme chopped
- Prepare Pastry for Single-Crust Pie. On a lightly floured surface, roll pastry into a circle about 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to a 10-inch tart pan; ease pastry into pan. Trim pastry even with rim of pan. Do not prick pastry. Line pastry shell with a double thickness of foil.
- Bake pastry in a 450 degree F. oven for 5 minutes. Remove foil. Bake for 5 to 7 minutes more or until pastry is set and dry. Remove from oven.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F. Sprinkle tart shell with Parmesan cheese.
- Meanwhile, in a small mixing bowl beat egg whites slightly. Stir in ricotta cheese, garlic, and the 1 tablespoon thyme; spread over pastry.
- Overlap large tomato slices in a circle around edge. Arrange yellow cherry tomato slices in a circle within the tomato ring. Fill center with red cherry tomato slices. Stir together olive oil or cooking oil and the 2 teaspoons thyme. Brush tomatoes with oil mixture.
- Bake tart in a 325 degree F. oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through and nearly set. Serve warm or at room temperature. Refrigerate any leftover tart.
Calories: 640kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 45g | Fat: 39g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 89mg | Sodium: 674mg | Potassium: 1324mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 3698IU | Vitamin C: 65mg | Calcium: 899mg | Iron: 4mg