1. Cook the ham in the vegetable oil until crisp and golden; drain, reserve the ham, and return the oil to the pot.
2. Cook the onions in the oil over moderate heat until soft but not colored. Add the garlic, jalapenos, Anaheims, pasilla chiles, and bay leaves and cook 5 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook 15 minutes, until the tomatoes soften.
4. Remove the bay leaves, add the basil, and puree in a blender, working in batches.
5. Season with lemon juice, Tabasco, and salt. Cool and reserve.
6. Gently reheat the soup over medium heat and adjust the seasoning. Place crab or shrimp in warm bowls. Ladle the soup into the bowls, and garnish with sour cream, tomato concasse and caper mixture, country ham, and sliced scallions.
This recipe is from the book Not Afraid of Flavor:Recipes from the Magnolia Grill
by Award-Winning Chefs Ben and Karen Barker