1. Defrost spring roll pastry in fridge overnight.
2. Make fine carrot slivers with a small carrot, using a vegetable peeler. Set aside.
3. Make a small amount of paste, with a tablespoon of flour and a bit of water. Set aside.
4. Peel water chestnuts as you would a potato. Rinse and chop coarsely. (Use canned ones if you must)
5. Mix shrimp, water chestnuts, carrot slivers and seasoning together in a bowl.
6. Cut pastry squares into rectangular halves.
7. Use one teaspoon of filling for each shrimp roll. Be careful not to overfill.
8. Heat an inch or two of oil to 300 F. Fry shrimp rolls in small batches until golden. They will float to the top when done. Let rest on paper towels.
9. Serve with Worcestershire sauce.
This recipe is from the book Have Some Dim Sum
by Evelyn Chau.