Beef and Guinness Pie
This is a hearty Irish variation on steak and kidney pie. This recipe showcases one of my favorite beers that also accompanies the recipe quite well.
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 1/2 cups beef stock
- 4 lbs. beef chuck cut into 1" cubes
- 1 1/2 lbs. white mushrooms cleaned and quartered
- 1 large yellow onion peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 2 cups Guinees stout or any other stout beer
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 325º. Put tomato paste into a large bowl, add stock, and stir until paste dissolves. Add beef, mushrooms, onions, garlic, thyme, and stout and stir well. Sprinkle flour over beef mixture, season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir well. Transfer to a deep 10 1/2" x 12 1/2" baking dish set on a large baking sheet. Cover dish with foil. Bake sirring occasionally, until meat is very tender, 3 1/2 - 4 hours.
Beat egg and 1 tsp. water together in a small bowl and set aside. Roll puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface to a 1/4" thicknes, 2" wider than baking dish. Remove baking dish from oven and uncover. Drape pastry over dish and brush with egg wash. Return baking dish to oven and bake until pastry is puffed and deep golden brown, about 40 minutes. Garnish with spearming sprigs, if you like.