Amazing Umami Chili
This chili gets it uniquely rich flavor from dark beer and chocolate with a hint of coffee and brown sugar. Garnish with shredded sharp cheddar and a dollop of sour cream.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time2 hrs
Total Time2 hrs 20 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 pound beef sirloin cubed
- 1 can peeled and diced tomatoes with juice 14.5 ounce
- 1 can or bottle dark beer 12 fluid ounce
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 2 cans tomato paste 6 ounce
- 1 can beef broth 14 ounce
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cans kidney beans 15 ounce
- 4 fresh hot chile peppers seeded and chopped
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onions, garlic, ground beef and cubed sirloin in oil for 10 minutes, or until the meat is well browned and the onions are tender.
Mix in the diced tomatoes with juice, dark beer, coffee, tomato paste and beef broth. Season with brown sugar, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, oregano, cayenne pepper, coriander and salt. Stir in 2 cans of the beans and hot chile peppers. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Stir in the 2 remaining cans of beans, and simmer for another 30 minutes.