White Chicken Chili
This White Chicken Chili soup recipe is perfect for cold weather. I am craving it right now as cold weather pushes into South Texas for the first time this fall. This and my Tortilla Soup and my Amazing Umami Chili are my go-to soup recipes during the coldest months of the year. I take advantage of Costco’s pre-picked and vacuum sealed rotisserie chicken for this recipe. I usually keep a package or two in my freezer ready to make into this or Chicken Pot Pie. It is a very quick and easy soup that you can prepare in under an hour,
White Chicken Chili
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp oil or bacon fat
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 30 oz low-sodium chicken broth
- 7 oz diced green chilies
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 8 oz Neufchatel cheese (aka light cream cheese) cut into small cubes
- 1 1/4 cup frozen or fresh corn
- 30 oz cannellini beans
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked rotisserie or left-over chicken
- 1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro plus more for serving
for serving (optional)
- Tortilla chips or strips
- monterrey jack cheese
- sliced avocado
- Heat oil in a 6 quart enameled dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 4 minutes minutes. Add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Add chicken broth, green chilies, cumin, paprika, oregano, coriander, cayenne pepper and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring mixture just to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Drain and rinse beans in a fine mesh strainer or colander then measure out 1 cup. Set whole beans aside, transfer 1 cup beans to a blender with 1/4 cup broth from soup, puree until nearly smooth
- Add Neufchatel cheese to soup along with corn, whole beans and pureed beans and stir well. Simmer 5 – 10 minutes longer.
- Stir in chicken, fresh lime juice and cilantro. Serve with Monterrey Jack cheese, more cilantro, avocado slices and tortilla chips if desired.