- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) softened unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- In a bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add the pepper.
In another bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter, add the sugar, a little at a time, then beat the mixture until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the orange peel, vanilla extract, and almond extract. Beat in the flour mixture until just combined. Stir in the walnuts. Wrap dough in plastic and chill for several hours or overnight.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour two baking sheets.
Divide dough into 3 pieces. Using lightly floured hands, roll each piece into a log 1 1/2 inches wide. Transfer two logs to one baking sheet, spacing 5 inches apart. Arrange the third log on the second baking sheet. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Let cool slightly on the sheets, then cut logs crosswise into diagonal slices 3/4-inch thick. Turn slices cut side down on the baking sheets and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Transfer to racks and let cool completely. Store in airtight containers.