Better than your Mama's Tortilla Soup
Since moving to Texas my families tastes have changed quite a bit. Chicken Noodle soup used to be our go to food when anyone was feeling under the weather. I used to make the stock from scratch in the pressure cooker and we always served it with buttery mashed potatoes. This made for an extremely rich and filling soup and did you know that fatty foods raise your body temperature? In southern Texas a food that makes you sweat is not ideal even when you don’t feel well. Instead we switched to Tortilla Soup which I feel is a much healthier option with lots of vegetables and dose of chiles to help you sweat off that fever. I have tried many different tortilla soups and I think this simple recipe beats them all in flavor.
Tortilla soup is an extremely simple soup that is also healthy and hearty.
- 2 lb Chicken, boneless & skinless cut in bite sized chunks
- 2 - 32 oz Chicken stock
- 2 - 14.5 oz can Tomatoes, Diced - I use Red Gold petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 oz can Diced green chiles, add another if you like yours spicy
- 15 oz can Corn
- 1 Medium Onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, smashed a bit
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 2 Medium Potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 Chayote squash, diced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin, ground
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Allspice, ground
- pinch Cayenne
- Salt to Taste, roughly 2 tbsp
- 2 Limes, juiced
- 2 Avocados, diced
- 1/2 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Colby Jack Cheese Shredded
- In a large pot add everything but the lime juice and serving items.
- Put on Medium heat and cover.
- Cook for about an hour. You want the veggies soft but not mushy.
- Before serving add lime juice to taste and the chopped cilantro.
- Serve over hearty tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream and cheese.
If you find the chicken flavor is thin at the end, stir in a tablespoon of Chicken Better than Bouillon. I would suggest doing this before the lime and cilantro are added.