Better than your Mama's Tortilla Soup
Tortilla soup is an extremely simple soup that is also healthy and hearty.Since moving to Texas my families tastes have changed quite a bit. Chicken Noodle soup used to be our go to food when anyone was feeling under the weather. I used to make the stock from scratch in the pressure cooker and we always served it with buttery mashed potatoes. This made for an extremely rich and filling soup and did you know that fatty foods raise your body temperature? In southern Texas a food that makes you sweat is not ideal even when you don’t feel well. Instead we switched to Tortilla Soup which I feel is a much healthier option with lots of vegetables and dose of chiles to help you sweat off that fever. I have tried many different tortilla soups and I think this simple recipe beats them all in flavor.
- 2 lb Chicken boneless & skinless cut in bite sized chunks
- 2 32 oz Chicken stock
- 2 14.5 oz can Tomatoes Diced - I use Red Gold petite diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 4 oz can Diced green chiles add another if you like yours spicy
- 15 oz can Corn
- 1 Medium Onion diced
- 3 cloves Garlic smashed a bit
- 2 Carrots diced
- 2 Medium Potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 Chayote squash diced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin ground
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp Allspice ground
- 1 pinch Cayenne
- Salt to Taste roughly 2 tbsp
- 2 Limes juiced
- 2 Avocados diced
- 1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
- Sour Cream
- Tortilla Chips
- Colby Jack Cheese Shredded
- In a large pot add everything but the lime juice and serving items.
- Put on Medium heat and cover.
- Cook for about 40 minutes. You want the veggies soft but not mushy.
- Before serving add lime juice to taste and the chopped cilantro.
- Serve over hearty tortilla chips, avocado, sour cream and cheese.