Chinese Barbecued Tofu With Sesame Noodles
- 7 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine or beer
- 2 teaspoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon five-spice seasoning
- 2 3/4 pounds firm or extra-firm tofu, sliced Â½-inch thick and drained
- 2 tablespoons soybean oil
- 8 ounces Chinese egg
- Combine 3 tablespoons soy sauce, hoisin sauce, oyster sauce, sherry, brown sugar, garlic and five-spice seasoning in a small bowl; mix well and set aside.
Dry tofu slices thoroughly between several layers of paper towels. Heat a nonstick skillet and brown tofu on both sides using a small amount of soybean oil. Remove tofu from skillet. Cool slightly. Marinate in sauce mixture for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours.
Grill tofu until browned on both sides; basting frequently with sauce. Cook egg noodles according to package directions. Drain and pour cold water over noodles to stop cooking; drain well. Season noodles with remaining Â¼ cup soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar. Toss with carrots, green onions and cucumbers. Garnish with green onion fans, carrot curls and cucumber fans, if desired.