Use the riches butter you can find both in and on these Sultana scones
- 6 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 16 tbsp. 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup sultanas golden raisins
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside. Whisk flour, sugar, and baking powder together in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or 2 table knives, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse meal flecked with pea-size pieces of butter. Stir in sultanas. Add milk and stir until dough just comes together.
- Turn dough out unto a lightly floured surface. Dust hands with four and gently knead with the heels of your hands several times until dough forms a rough ball. (Do not over knead dough, or scones will be tough.)
- Divide dough into 20 equal pieces, gently shape each into rounds, and arrange on prepared baking sheets 1"-2" apart. Beat egg and 1 tsp. water together in a small bowl. Using a pastry brush, brush tops of dough rounds with egg wash.
- Bake scones until golden brown, 30-35 minutes. Set aside to cool on wire racks for 5-10 minutes. Set aside to cool on wire racks for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve warm with butter and marmalade or jam.