- 1/2 cup butter or shortening
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 3 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar or to taste
- 1 1/2 pints strawberries hulled and quartered lengthwise and partly mashed
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine 1 pint of the strawberries and the 1/2 cup granulated sugar and with a potato masher mash the berries gently until they release their juices, being careful not to crush them to a pulp. Add the remaining 1/2 pint of berries. Let the mixture stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients then cut in the butter or shortening until crumbly. Beat egg together with buttermilk and vanilla. Add liquids to dry ingredients. Mix just until mixed. Pour into a well buttered baking sheet and smooth before placing in oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Serve shortcake once it has cooled a bit and add vanilla ice cream before topping with strawberries for an extra wow when you serve your family.