- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (packed) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch of cloves
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, melted butter, rum and vanilla to blend thoroughly. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix with the whisk, stopping when everything is just combined. (Don't worry if the batter is a bit lumpy.) With a rubber spatula, gently but thoroughly fold in the pumpkin.
If necessary, lightly butter, oil or spray your griddle or skillet. Preheat over medium heat or, if using an electric griddle, set to 350o F. If you want to hold the pancakes until serving time, preheat your oven to 200o F.
Spoon 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle for each pancake, allowing space for spreading. When the undersides of the pancakes are golden and the tops are lightly speckled with bubbles that pop and stay open, flip the pancakes over with a wide spatula and bake until the other sides are light brown. (These are soft and puffy, so turn carefully.) Serve immediately, or keep the finished pancakes in the preheated oven while you make the rest of the batch.
Serve the pancakes piping hot with a scoop of Spice Pumpkin Ice Cream melting into them.