- 6 ripe peaches peeled and pitted
- 1 small orange halved and seeds removed
- 1/2 lemon seeds removed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick or 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 2 cups water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons peach brandy
- 7 ounces ginger ale
- Place the peaches, orange, and lemon in a large saucepan and add the bay leaf, cinnamon, cloves, wine, water, and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce the heat slightly and simmer for 1 hour, or until the ingredients are very tender.
In a small bowl whisk the cornstarch into the brandy. Stir the brandy mixture into the peach mixture and return to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Remove and discard the orange and lemon rinds, bay leaf, cinnamon stick and cloves. Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth.
Push the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl. Divide 1 cup of the soup into 4 small ramekins and freeze. Chill the rest of the soup and add ginger ale just before serving. Serve in chilled bowls and float the frozen soup on top.