- 5 lbs fresh fiddleheads
- 1 lb fresh wild leeks, ramps or shallots
- Fresh peppers - hot or mild to taste
- Fresh herbs (cut fine)- basil, tarragon, thyme, rosemary and chives
- 5 cups apple cider or wine vinegar
- 5 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- salt to taste
- Clean and rinse fiddleheads. Blanch fiddleheads in boiling water for 1 minute. Remove from heat, drain and rinse in cold water to cool them. Clean and cut up peppers, wild leeks and fresh herbs.
Pour vinegar over cooled fiddleheads in a non-reactive container. Add cut up peppers, wild leeks, herbs, sugar and salt. Stir to wet all ingredients. Add Olive Oil and stir again. Refrigerate for 24 hours before serving.