A basic marinara sauce is required for every kitchen. This is a classic recipe that you can just exclude the sardines for a vegan sauce.
Servings 4 cups
- 6 Tbs olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped fine
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 16 sprigs of fresh parsley chopped, leaves only
- 8 sprigs of basil
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 4 cups plum tomatoes drained and coarsely chopped, two 1-lb cans
- 1 Tbs dried oregano
- 6 anchovy fillets optional; exclude for vegan version
- 2 Tbs tomato paste
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan over moderate heat. Add the garlic, red pepper flakes, basil and parsley and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Do not brown.
- Add the tomatoes, oregano, salt, and pepper, and simmer over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the optional anchovies and tomato paste and stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Add the optional anchovies and tomato paste and stir well. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.