Loafstyles of the Rich and Famous
Enquiring minds want to know: What’s the secret behind this low-fat loaf that “everyone who’s a someone” is raving about? Well, according to the Psychic to the Stars, the secret ingredient is ground turkey, of all things, and apparently it has a very bright future ahead of it. First, loaves. Then, the world! You’ll just fall in loaf with it!
Apple, Sage and Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 tsp butter or margarine
- 2 cups chopped unpeeled Granny Smith apples
- 3/4 cup chopped onions
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground turkey skinless
- 1/2 cup each quick-cooking rolled oats and chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp ground sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 .
- Melt butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add apples and onions. Cook and stir for about 5 minutes, until onions are tender. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together apples, onions, and all remaining ingredients.
- Spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick spray. Pat turkey mixture into pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until no longer pink in center. Pour off any liquid from pan. Invert onto a platter and serve.
Looneyspoons: Low-Fat Food Made Fun!
by Janet & Greta Podleski
Cartoons by Ted Martin
Granet Publishing, Inc.
Distributed by Prima Publishing