Perfect Grilled Chicken
This chicken is guaranteed winner every time I make it. Even people who say they don't care for grilled chicken come back for more of this chicken.
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup black pepper, ground
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 8 whole cloves
- 8 whole allspice
- 1 whole star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 whole oranges, zested and quartered
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- Quartered Chicken Parts, any quantity you need
- Lemon pepper seasoning, to taste or seasoning of choice
- Bring water to boil in saucepan and add kosher salt, pepper, sugar, orange zest & quarters and whole spices. Stir and turn down to simmer for 5 minutes than turn off heat and let cool for 30 minutes. Add vinegar to cooled brine.
- Rinse chicken and remove extra fat. Place chicken in a non-reactive container and add 2 water glasses full of ice. Poor brine mixture over chicken and ice, cover and let stand for 1-2 hours. Remove chicken from brine but do not rinse. Sprinkle with lemon pepper and maybe a bit of salt depending on how salty your lemon pepper seasoning contains.
- This chicken should be grilled indirectly so only put coals on one side of your grill or only light one side of your gas grill. Get the grill hot and place the chicken on the cooler side of the grill until juices run clear. Grill fat side up and do not flip only rotate the pieces closest to the fire with those further away for for more even cooking. To get the grilled crispy skin move chicken to hot side or the grill , skin side down, just before removing from grill. Cooking your chicken with this method not only makes for very flavorful and juicy chicken. This chicken takes very little babysitting with only the occasional rotation.