- 9 Â½ ounces (1 cup 3 Tbsp.) water, 90-100 degrees F
- 3-1/2 cups bread flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast or
- 1 1/2 teaspoon bread machine or fast rise yeast
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon water
- Add lukewarm water to pan. Add bread flour, sugar and salt to pan. Tap pan to settle dry ingredients, then level ingredients, pushing some of the mixture into corners. Place butter into corners of pan. Make a well in center of dry ingredients; add yeast. Lock pan into bread maker.
Program for DOUGH. Program TIMER if being used. Start bread maker. When done, remove pan from bread maker. Place dough onto floured surface. Let rest 15 minutes.
Roll dough into a 15 x 12-inch rectangle. Roll up tightly from long side, seal and taper ends. Place seam side down on greased baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 45 to 55 minutes or until nearly doubled in size. With sharp knife, make 3 or 4 Â¼-inch deep diagonal cuts on top of loaf. Combine egg white with water and brush mixture on top of loaf.
Bake in preheated 375 degree F oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool slightly before slicing.