Deep Fried Turkey
Deep Fried Turkey
This turkey recipe will forever convert you to a turkey fryer. Brining and deep frying your turkey is the key to the most delicious turkey your have ever eaten. This recipe infuses the meat with seasoning and moisture during the brining process and locks those in with the fry.
- 1 cup kosher salt
- 1/2 cup tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Black Pepper cracked
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 13 Whole Cloves
- 13 allspice cracked
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 Orange zested and quartered
- 1 - 15 pound fresh turkey
- 2 tbsp ground sage
- 2 tbsp ground bay leaves
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- Make a brine by combining the salt, brown sugar, black pepper, thyme, cloves, allspice, bay leaves, orange quarters, zest and a quart of water. Bring the mixture to boil and turn down to a low simmer for 10 minutes.
- Use a clean cooler and put a thick layer of ice on the bottom (just make sure you have enough space to add the turkey). Take a new trash bag and lay the turkey into the bag breast down while the bag is in the cooler. Pour the cooled brine into the trash bag and then fill the bag with cold water until the turkey is covered. Pull the bag opening up and gather it. The goal is to tie it like a pet store fish bag. Make sure to push out all the air that you can before tying it to make sure the brine stays in contact with the turkey. Close the cooler lid so that the turkey stays cold. Let turkey brine overnight. An hour prior to frying, drain, rinse and pat dry turkey.
- Finely grind bay leaves in spice grinder; transfer to small bowl. Mix sage, ground bay, pepper and salt. This is your rub for your brined turkey.
- Rub 1/3 spice mixture in inside of turkey and the rest on outside of turkey; place in roasting pan. Let turkey come to room temperate. Using a wooden skewer, thread neck flap securely to bottom of turkey. Fold wing tips under.
- Heat oil in 10-gallon pot with over high heat until temperature registers 360°F. Fit turkey on turkey hook Holding turkey by handle of hook, immerse in oil. Maintain temperature at 360 °F while frying. Fry until golden brown, about 45 minutes, or 3 minutes per pound or internal temperature in the breast is 150F.
- Lift turkey from oil; transfer to a wire rack over a roasting pan. Tent with foil and let rest for 10 minutes before carving.