- 1 1/4 pounds kale, tough stems removed, washed (or use green cabbage)
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 lbs potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup cleaned and chopped leeks (white only)
- 1 cup milk
- pinch of ground mace
- salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- In a large pot, simmer kale, covered, in 2 cups water and the oil for 10 minutes.
- Drain and chop fine; set aside and keep warm. In a small pot, bring the potatoes and water to cover to a boil and simmer until tender.
- In another small pot, simmer the leeks, covered, in the milk for 10 minutes, and keep warm.
- Drain the potatoes and puree them, using a potato ricer or masher, into the large pot.
- Add the leeks with their milk, and the cooked kale.
- Beat with a wooden spoon until fluffy.
- Season with mace, salt and pepper.
- Mound on a plate and top with melted butter.
- Garnish with parsley.