Mention muffins today, and you'll conjure up visions of blueberry, date-nut, cranberry or other fruit muffins. Sweet summer fruits are a wonderful addition to a basic muffin batter; the following version teams cherries and almonds, a fruit and nut that were made for one another.
- 1/2 cup 1 stick butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cherries pitted, coarsely chopped, and drained
- 1 cup slivered almonds lightly toasted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- granulated sugar
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
Sift together dry ingredients and add them to butter/sugar mixture alternately with milk. Stir in almond extract, then gently fold in almonds and cherries.
Spoon muffin batter into 12 greased muffin cups; cups will be quite full. Sprinkle each muffin with a little granulated sugar, and bake in a preheated 375°F oven for 30 minutes, or until muffins test done.