This recipe was adapted from Maangchi
- 3 lbs chicken pieces
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 2 tbsp powered sugar
- 1 tsp black pepper, ground
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/3 cup rice syrup, honey, or corn syrup
- 1/3 cup hot pepper paste, less if you lack heat tolerance
- 1 tbsp apple vinegar
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Rinse chicken in cold water. Drain and shake off excess water.
- In a large bowl combine all purpose and rice flour with salt, pepper, baking soda and powdered sugar. Mix well.
- Lightly beat your egg and add it to dry mixture. Add chicken pieces and mix well with your hands until all the chicken is coated.
- Heat 6-7 cups of oil in a wok or frying pan and heat until oil bubbles when chicken is added (about 350-375 F).
- Fry for about 10 minutes until chicken is lightly browned Remove from oil on to a grate where oil can drain from chicken. Let them rest for a few minutes.
- Fry them again for another 10 minutes until all pieces are golden brown and crunchy.
- Add 1 Tbsp Canola oil and minced garlic into a pan over medium heat
- Add ketchup, rice syrup, hot pepper past and vinegar to pan and simmer for 7 minutes stirring frequently.
- Keep warm until chicken is ready
- Add twice fried chicken to sauce or together in a large bowl and stir gently with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds and server with warm rice.