- 12 to 16 ounces white bread, stale but not hard
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole or low-fat milk
- Whipped cram, milk, or heavy or light cream
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Cut into 1-inch cubes. Spread the bread evenly in the prepared baking dish then scatter the raisins over the top. Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and 3 cups milk. Pour the mixture over the bread and let stand for 30 minutes. Periodically pressing the bread down with a spatula to help it absorb the liquid.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake the pudding in a water bath until puffed and firm in the center, about an hour and 20 minutes. Serve warm or cold with cream.