Combine two fresh summertime fruits to make this familiar biscuit-topped dessert.
- 1 large egg white (about 2 tablespoons), lightly beaten
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cups blueberries
- 8 cups sliced apricots
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- In a shallow 3-quart casserole, stir together tapioca and 1 cup of the sugar. Add apricots, blueberries, and lemon juice; mix gently. Let stand, stirring gently several times, until tapioca is softened (at least 20 minutes). Meanwhile, prepare Biscuit Topping.
On a lightly floured board, roll or pat out Biscuit Topping about 1/2-inch thick. Cut into circles with a 2 1/2-inch cookie cutter; re roll scraps and cut. Place biscuits slightly apart on fruit mixture. Brush biscuits with egg white, then sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
Bake in a 400-degree oven until fruit is bubbly in center (40 to 50 minutes). Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes l0 to 12 servings.
Biscuit Topping. In a food processor or a large bowl, whirl or stir together 1 1/2-cups all -purpose flour, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Add 1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) cold butter or margarine, cut into pieces; whirl or rub with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 1/3 cup low-fat milk; whirl or stir with a fork just until evenly moistened. Shape dough into a ball.