Black Bean Hummus & Carrot Slaw Sandwiches
For a different take on a Mediterranean specialty, try making hummus with black beans and salted roasted almonds in place of the traditional garbanzos and sesame tahini. Serve the spread in pita breads, along with spoonfuls of tart-sweet carrot slaw for crunch and sparkling color.
- 1 large can (about 7 oz./200 g) whole green chiles, cut crosswise into halves
- 4 pita breads (each about 5 inches/12.5 cm in diameter)
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) honey
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) distilled white vinegar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) lime juice
- 1 teaspo
- In a large bowl, combine beans, almonds, lemon juice, garlic, and cumin. Mash with a potato masher or fork until hummus has a spreadable consistency.
- In another bowl, combine carrots, lime peel, lime juice, vinegar, honey, mustard, caraway seeds, and red pepper flakes. Mix well.
- To serve, cut pita breads in half crosswise. Fill breads with hummus, carrot slaw (serve slaw with a slotted spoon), and chiles.