Smoked Salmon and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
This is a great picnic sandwich! Serve with fresh strawberries and dry white wine or iced tea.
- 1/2 pound soft mild goat cheese (such as Bucheron or Montrachet), room temperature
- 10 tablespoons minced fresh arugula or watercress
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- 1 pound smoked salmon slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 1/2-inch-thick egg bread slices
- Fresh arugula or watercress leaves
- 12 thin lemon slices
- Mix goat cheese, 6 tablespoons minced arugula, 2 tablespoons oil and 2 teaspoons chives in small bowl. Season generously with pepper. Arrange salmon in single layer on large plate. Drizzle 3 tablespoons oil over. Spoon lemon juice over. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons minced arugula, 4 teaspoons chives and generous amount of pepper. (Can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
Just before serving, toast bread. Spread with goat cheese mixture; top with salmon. Place sandwiches on plates. Tuck arugula under sandwiches. Make cut in each lemon slice from center to edge. Twist 1 slice atop each sandwich.