- 3/4 cup fruity Spanish olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 pound ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 large, thick slices country bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, soak the bread cubes in the vinegar for 20 minutes. Toast the almonds for 10 to 15 minutes, watching closely. Cool the almonds completely, then grind them in a mortar and pestle or food processor until they are finely ground but not oily. Add the vinegarsoaked bread, tomatoes, paprika, salt and pepper to the processor and grind together briefly until evenly pureed. With the motor running, add the olive oil in a thin stream.