This is a more down to earth version of the traditional pesto with expensive pine nuts and Pecorino cheese. This version resembles "pistou" from the Provencal region in France.
- 2 bunches (approx. 1/3 lb.) fresh basil, leaves washed and picked over
- 5 to 6 sprigs Italian parsley, leaves washed and removed
- 2 to 3 large cloves garlic, crushed with knife and peeled
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan
- Combine basil leaves, parsley, and garlic in food processor fitted with steel blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Continue pulsing, gradually adding oil until mixture is smooth and pureed.
To freeze pesto, STOP here, before adding cheese, if desired.
Stir in cheese and use.