- Characterized by a general lack of life due to poor feeding habits or too long of a time since the last feeding. The cure is simple. If a single, normal proof shows no drastic improvement, do thefollowing:
1) Using 1 tablespoon of the well-stirred starter (discard the remainder or save a little in the refigerator in case of an emergency), 1 1/2 cups of 75 degree water, and 2 cups of white-all purpose flour, proof for exactly 24 hours at 72 to 77 degrees.
2) Examine the starter to determine if it is healthy and fresh or not. Refer to the section on "FRESH STARTER" or the table of starter stages above for a description of fresh, healthy starter. If the starter is healthy, you are finished.
3) If the starter is not healthy yet, stir well and refrigerate for no less than 12 hours.
4) Remove the starter from the refrigerator and go to step 1. Old starter may need to go through this process as many as 5 or 6 times before it becomes healthy again...don't give up even if it takes longer than this. There are very few starters that cannot be restored from this type of abuse.