Milk Cracker Stuffing
This is the most wonderful stuffing in the world! My husband was brought up on bread stuffing, but this is now his favorite. Milk crackers and sausage are a wonderful twist to a traditional recipe. Try it and I know you won't be disappointed.
- 1 (16 ounce) package milk crackers
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 5 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups hot milk
- In a food processor, grind the milk crackers into crumbs. Place in a large bowl.
Place sausage in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving liquid, and mix into the bowl with cracker crumbs.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, slowly cook and stir the onion and celery in 3 tablespoons of the reserved sausage liquid until soft.
Mix the onion and celery into the cracker crumb and sausage mixture. Mix in the poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, eggs and milk. Chill in the refrigerator approximately 1 hour before stuffing the turkey.