This soup was made famous by the Seinfeld television series when it was served by the "Soup Nazi" but the robust flavor should make it famous on it's own.
- 4 quarts water (16 cups)
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 potatoes, peeled & sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 2 stalks celery, with tops
- 2 cups peeled & diced eggplant (about 1/2 of an eggplant)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen yellow corn
- 2/3 cup canned roasted red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios
- 1/2 cup roasted ca
- 1. Combine all ingredients in a large pot over high heat.
2. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4-5 hours or until soup has reduced by more than half, and is thick and brownish in color. It should have a thick consistency. Stir occasionally for the first few hours, but stir often in the last hour. The edges of the potatoes should become more rounded, and the nuts will soften. Serve hot.
Because of the reduction of this soup the salt in the stock may be enough so do not add additional salt until the soup has reduced.